Home
Alumni Database
Alumni News
Class Reunions
Fight Song
Message Board
School History
Photo Gallery
Donations
Officers & Board
Committees
Minutes
By-Laws & Articles
CCHS Administration
CC Links
Contact Us

Columbia City High School
Alumni Association

600 N. Whitley St.
Columbia City, Indiana 46725

(260) 244-6136, Ext. 3227


History of Columbia City High School

Trivia Question:  What year was the first yearbook published? 

Answer:  1909.  It was called "The Columbia City High School Annual" and in 1910 "The Senior." In 1911 the yearbook committee decided the name should be more representative of the entire high school and renamed it "Columbian."   They requested that this name be given due consideration the next year before adopting another. . 

In 1905 a new high school building was erected beside the second West Ward School, one-half block north of West Van Buren Street between Elm and Walnut streets. Two and one-half stories tall, the brick structure was considered one of the best constructed buildings in northern Indiana at the time. It contained an assembly room, classrooms, two offices, two laboratories with equipment, library, gymnasium and several other rooms.  Located south of West Ward School, rebuilt in 1889, the high school completed the school block, which now stood ready to educate generations of local children from 1st to 12th grade.  Kindergarten was added in the 1940s.

The second West Ward School was built in 1889:

Even in the early 1900s athletics were an important part of high school, with girls participating as well as boys.  Sports included baseball, football, basketball and tennis.  The tennis courts were at the rear (west side) of the building.  In 1903 the Athletic Association was organized to oversee the sports programs.

Trivia Question:  Before being named the "Eagles," what were the CCHS athletic teams called?    Answer & More History

2005 Columbia City High School Alumni Association        This page last updated 06/23/2012